Re: [DL] Mad Scientists

             Thought I'd toss out a couple of comments to some of this.
As usual, these are just one Mojo's opinion and are never meant to be
inflamatory in the least.
Maybe a little SPOILER space........ jest in case......

>>The Marshal should take the intent of the Device into account when the MS
fails a roll or might receive a Dementia. I don't think a Scientist should
be blown to Kingdom Come for trying to spiff up his steam-powered
backscratcher. However, if he fumbles while playing with his Megalo Death
Ray, take him to the cleaners.<<

I disagree with this personally.   I mean they ARE dealing with demons, let's
not forget.    Demons wouldn't tend to 'lighten up' on the poor schmoe just
because the gadget wasn't of one variety or another.     They don't take it
easy on Hucksters when they screw the pooch on a roll..... IMH... they
wouldn't...and don't in my campaign..... give the Mad Scientists a break
either.    As Marshall, I feel, like I've said before, when ya rolss them
bones... ya takes ya chances.

>> And, I say let MSs buy Dementias off with Bounty. It represents a mental
shock that gradually wears off. This way, if the Dementia works for both the
Player and the Character, he can choose to keep it. If not, he can buy it
off. No reason to ruin a good character for the sake of a poor die roll.<<

I have to come a wee bit clean on this one.    I said that I didn't let these
be bought off with Bounty.     That was a bit of an exageration.    In ONE
case, due to circumstances that have no bearing on the discussion, I DID let
the MS buy off one dementia he picked up by 'dealing with the demons'.
But it was at SIX times the value, rather than the double cost.     My
reasoning ..... and why I don't believe it should be done...... is that I,
personally, don't see it as a 'mental shock'.     I see it as more of a
supernatural "Brain Screw" (cleaned THAT one up for the list!!  heh heh heh)
done BY the Manitou.     IF.....and I mean BID if...... you can "get over
it", I think it should be one of the hardest things that the character should
have to attempt.     Is it harsh?     Yep.     But, like I have to tell the
Huckster in the Possee EVERY time she backlashs, "......nobody forced ya to
throw a Hex.".    Dealing with the supernatural.....the Manitou in particular
(IMHO anyhoo) SHOULDN'T be a picnic.

>>I think people who dislike MSs simply haven't seen one played correctly.<<

Let me finish by saying I LOOOOVE Mad Scientists (especially with a nice
Sangria!).     They make being a Marshall soooo much fun.     Have I ever
PLAYED one?     Well...... no.     Never appealed to me, personally.
Never played a Huckster either for the same reason.    Tend toward the Agent
(I now play whenever I can con, beg, or threaten someone else to be Marshall)
or my old Muckraker (he died..... he got up a few hours later, but I'm not
really interested in playing Harrowed either!).     I HAVE, however, used the
MS rules to make up some gadgets FOR ther Agency (hmmmmm.....wonder why?),
like the "Mnemonic History Reorganizer", or the "Flashy-Thing" as the Possee
calls it, so I would never knock the MS character.    But I have to say that
not seeing something played correctly kind of falls to two thoughts to
me....... one, many people might define 'correctly' differently.     And two,
AS a Marshall, if someone Isn't doing something right, it's usually because
I'M screwing up as a Marshall somewhere.

Two Gun Mojo
SASS #30412
"I got my mojo workin'"
Visit  my webpage :  <A