Re: [DL] OK, pardners, LISTEN UP!

 >    Ah, but you see, Ross, that's generally the *exact same sort of
thinking*
 >motivating sites like I-RPG and PYRAMID, which generally only publish
 >positive reviews. These sites have limited resources to expend on reviews --
 >space, reviewer time, and so on and so on. They prefer not to waste space
 >trashing bad products; they'd rather promote products they like -- just like
 >you're not likely to waste time writing a review of a product you don't like.

My $0.02.

While I agree that Greg's editorial policy is certainly not censorship, the
fact that his publication does not have negative reviews means that his
reviews section will have a limited value for me.

I tend to be an optimist when it comes to gaming products.  Unless I hear
(or learn) otherwise, I assume that every gaming product out there is the
best that the company could do.
I've been burned several times.

I've recently been able to avoid a couple of dogs that I would have bought
anyway, having been warned off from reviews on rpg.net.  I also have added
several products to my purchase list because of things I read on
rpg.net.  I know that if there are any flaws or shortcomings in a product,
either the reviewer or the commentators will point them out.

On the flip side - Shadis magazine's review policy was to never publish a
bad review.  When I heard that, I began to suspect that they were more
interested in keeping their friends and advertisers happy then they were in
putting out an honest review.

In short - when something on rpg.net gets a good review, it means
something.  When Shadis had a good review, it felt like an advertising gimmick.

Also, in my opinion, a well written review should touch upon both the good
and the bad aspects of the product.  You don't have to insult or flame the
item, but you should point out the shortcomings you found.  You can always
find something both good and bad to say about something.  If you can't find
any flaws then point out that you looked for them, but couldn't find 'em.

The posting of weaknesses in a product has a secondary benefit of possibly
getting feedback back to the author/game company, letting them know what
they might want to look at in order to improve their next release.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

There's only one secret to bachelor cooking - not caring how it tastes.
                 -P.J. O'Rourke