Re: [DL] Weight of firearms

In a message dated 2/9/2001 11:51:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
oleingva@ifi.ntnu.no writes:

<< -Peacemakers (x4, if you wondered) >>

    Unfortunately, the book in my collection that lists gun weights doesn't
list one for the Peacemaker (due to the many variations, no doubt). It lists
a 7.5" barrel Colt DA Frontier as 39 ounces (it doesn't say if that's loaded
or unloaded, but I'd guess unloaded from the writeup).
    The Colt DA Lightning with 3.5" barrel is 23 ozs.

<< -Gatling Pistols (I guess a pound or two more than a regular sixgun) >>

    No clue. No real-world sources, obviously. ;)

<< -Doublebarreled shotguns (x2) >>

    I looked at various listings and got:
        10 gauge:  8-10 lbs.
        12 gauge:  7 to 9.5 lbs.

<< -Scatterguns (x2, pretty mangeled (sawn-off both barrel and stock, so I
 guess a pound or two less than normal) >>

    No precise figures available, but as you say, just cut down the weight of
a full gun some.

<< Leveraction Shotgun and Whinschester Rifle also of interest, he sometimes
 carry around those as well. >>

    Winchester '73:  about 8.5 pounds
    Sharps 1874:  about 10 pounds

    My source for all this, if anyone cares, is *Antique Guns* by John
Traister.

Steve Long