Re: [DL] Gunsmithing and PC's making guns

OK, the "official" word on ghost steel is that it is what happens when
you replace coke with ghost rock in the refining process, having nothing
to do with tempering it.  Ghost steel is also supposed to be both lighter
AND stronger than normal steel.  It is necessary to Mad scientists,
because ghost rock bouilers have to be of ghost steel construction, as
normal steel and iron can melt from the heat of ghost rock. (Smith &
Robards, page 7)
I fully agree that a lighter gun would be a hinderance and not an
advantage, but the gun manufacturers probably take that into account and
add counterweights to the gun.  Law Dogs also states that it doesn't take
a Mad Scientist to work with ghost steel, as any gunsmith can
custom-build a ghost steel pistol.

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:33:53 -0500 "Ashman, Joel" <jea2@c-cor.com>
writes:
> If you had 10 cubic inches of steel, and 10 cubic inches of steel
> tempered by Ghost Rock, they would weigh the same.  The GR tempered
steel
> would be stronger, provided it survived the tempering process,
remembering
> that GR burns hot enough to melt steel.

From Whom It May Concern,
Rich Ranallo

"Guns Don't Kill People. Irresponsible, Short-Sighted Lobby Groups Do."

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.