Re: [DL] New DL player old ArM player

"matt ryan" <mrr15@cornell.edu> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've recently joined a gaming group that is starting a new Deadlands game.
> I've never played Deadlands, although I've been playing RPG's for years. My
> largest recent involvement was playing Ars Magica. I would like to ask the
> list group a few introductory questions.

Welcome aboard!

> How open to "newbie" questions is this group? The Ars Magica mailing list
> tends to be quite snobbish, which prohibited list reader involvement (in my
> opinion).

This place is the anti-snob domain.  Why, we get all kinds of dumb
questions/posts here (including a couple of doozies from yours truly), and
no one has been shot that I am aware of.

> Has anyone played Ars Magica on this list? What are the similarities
> between the two games? My player's rule book is on it's way, so I haven't
> been able to read any of it yet. Hindrances and Edges seem similar to
> Virtues and Flaws. Are there other similarities?

Edges and Hindrances are indeed your standard 'advantage/disadvantage' setup
common to any number of games.  Other than that, I don't see a lot of
similarity between the games, although they are both quality products.

Well, OK, there is also the fact that both are set in 'alternate' versions
of real historical periods.  Mustn't forget that.

Deadlands is, IMHO, more combat-oriented (or should I say more
action-oriented) that ArM, though this needn't be the case, nor is it
intended to imply that it is less 'role-player, as opposed to roll-player'
friendly.

But the action system is unique and wonderfully suited to the western
milieu.

Also, ArM (again, IMHO) lends itself to a faster passage of time with its
seasonal study rules (like the old Pendragon game, in fact, if not exactly
so), whereas Deadlands tends to emphasize the here and now (or then and now,
if you follow me).

I think Ars Magica tends to emphasize a different style of play, with a
central Mage surrounded by companions and henchmen, whereas Deadlands
characters tend to start on relatively even footing.

Magic, or Weird Science etc., in Deadlands is more 'static' than it is in
ArM, but I suspect that you know this, since this is true of almost every
other game out there as well.

Lastly, Deadlands is part of a greater story being told through two (and
eventually three) game lines which advance the storyline to the present, and
eventually the future, which ArM doesn't handle, though these games (Hell on
Earth and Lost Colony) are NOT required to play and enjoy Deadlands in the
slightest (I don't own any of them myself).

That's all I've got off the top of my head; hope it helps.

> What is the best introductory advice for the gaming newbie? Any pointers or
> experiences anyone would like to share with me?

Kick back and have fun with it!  I always encourage my players to get a feel
for the historical era, then read everything the Marshal permits their
character about the changes made to that period by the game (short version;
everything is the same until the Battle of Gettysburg, then things get
subtly (or not so subtly) weird).

> Lastly, I'm very excited about playing this game. The group I'm joining
> can't say enough great things about Deadlands and Doomtown. Our first
> session is Sunday. We are meeting solely to make characters. Any advice?

I always have people make characters before the first game as well, so as to
have time to digest my new victi- er, posse, and so the players can think
about it some more and tinker, so I think you're on the right track there.

Try not to step on each others' toes, since there are some fairly unique
character possibilities that don't stand up well if the whole posse is
comprised of them.

Also, unless it makes sense for your character to be cowardly, invest in
some Guts.  *grin*

Enjoy, and again, welcome.
--
Ross Coburn