[DL] New DL player old ArM player

Hello everyone,

I've recently joined a gaming group that is starting a new Deadlands game.
I've never played Deadlands, although I've been playing RPG's for years. My
largest recent involvement was playing Ars Magica. I would like to ask the
list group a few introductory questions.

How open to "newbie" questions is this group? The Ars Magica mailing list
tends to be quite snobbish, which prohibited list reader involvement (in my
opinion).

Has anyone played Ars Magica on this list? What are the similarities
between the two games? My player's rule book is on it's way, so I haven't
been able to read any of it yet. Hindrances and Edges seem similar to
Virtues and Flaws. Are there other similarities?

What is the best introductory advice for the gaming newbie? Any pointers or
experiences anyone would like to share with me?

Lastly, I'm very excited about playing this game. The group I'm joining
can't say enough great things about Deadlands and Doomtown. Our first
session is Sunday. We are meeting solely to make characters. Any advice?

Thanks.

Matt Ryan