Re: [DL] Fightin': Rifle

At 03:30 PM 5/1/2001 -0700, Mr. Steven Walmsley wrote:
>I know I have seen something on this subject but I just can't seem to find
>it.

	Sorry it's taken me so long to get around to responding your question, but
I've been extra-busy on _Horrors of the Weird West_ (typing "Alignment:
Chaotic Evil" over and over again, pretty much:-) ).
	The Aptitude to which you refer was on the PEG Website as part of _Back
East: The Lost Pages_ prior to those Miserable, Fat, @ss-Clown B@stards
(sorry, Cybergames :-) ) taking over. For whatever reason, that portion
doesn't seem to have made the transition to the new site. At any rate, the
text went a little...something...like...THIS:

	New Aptitudes
	By Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

	For those of you who devoured Chapter Two of Back East: The South and
demanded still more new options for the Soldier Archetype and related
characters, here are two new Aptitudes intended for their use:

	Fightin': rifle
	Associated Trait: Nimbleness
	Despite poison gas, land ironclads and Gatling guns, victory on the
battlefield is determined by brutal melee. After leaving the army, veterans
find this Aptitude handy when their reloading time suddenly vanishes.
Fightin': rifle includes using rifle butts, fixed bayonets, and both in
tandem, which allows soldiers to shatter an opponent's skull and insert a
bayonet into their groin simultaneously. As they say, if the left doesn't
get you....

Weapon                 Defensive Bonus         Damage                 Price
Bayonet (Fixed)		   +3                  STR+2d6                 $5
Rifle Butt                            +1                   STR+2d6
As per Rifle

>Could anyone point me to rules when fightin' with a rifle equipped with a
>bayonet.

	Ah yes, the likely reason this never made it into the actual book: I never
devised a game mechanic to go along with it. Let me see if I can address
this here and now....
	I'd reduce a target's Defensive Bonus or Dodge roll result by -3 if
they're in hand-to-hand with someone using fightin': rifle, owing to the
fact they just can't be sure which end of the weapon they'll be struck with.
	Please, everyone, consider this a *suggestion* and not a Holy Writ Change
to the DL Rules. This idea may just be the cough syrup talking;-), and in
any event I don't want my Inbox filling up with hate mail like last time.
	In any event, I hope this helps, and feedback from my fellow listservers
would be MOST appreciated.
	Y'all take care until next I can post.

Deo Vindice,
Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Additional Developer: Deadlands: The Weird West Revised Edition
Co-Author: Tales o' Terror: 1877, Back East: The South & the JLA Sourcebook
Southern by the Grace of God