Re: [DL] Ketchum Hand Grenades?

At 08:14 PM 4/29/2001 -0400, Mr. Eric Young wrote:
>Anyone have a good source of information on Ketchum Hand Grenades? In
>particular I'm interested in knowing how reliable they were, how widely
>issued and to what units were they issued.

	Sorry it's taken me a while to get to your question, good sir, but I've
been up to my Armor Class in _Horrors of the Weird West_.;-)

	The Yankees bought around 90,000 Ketcham grenades during the actual War,
but I could find no information on which units actually received them.
	While not the most unreliable weapon of its time and type, the Ketcham was
considered as such by most bluebellies and consequently not popular amongst
them. In fact, grenades in general don't come into widespread use until the
20th century, when technology and tactics made them a necessity; albeit
still an unpopular one with the troops until fairly recently.
	Perhaps with trench warfare and land ironclads on the loose in Virginia,
soldiers in DL have reconsidered the Ketcham and its cousins. If you wanted
to use them in your game, it would make sense to me for that reason.

	Hope this helps!

	Keep The War-related questions comin', y'all!;-)

Deo Vindice,
Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Additional Developer: Deadlands: The Weird West Revised Edition
Co-Author: Tales o' Terror: 1877, Back East: The South & the JLA Sourcebook
Southern by the Grace of God