RE: [DL] help!!

Title: RE: [DL] help!!

> What is wrong with you guys? Why is killing off PC's such an ambition?

I agree setting out to kill PC's in any game is a bad thing and rapidly leaves you with no players, however it is possible that some PC's detract rather than add to the telling of a good story.  However remember that while we all roleplay to have fun - GM's need to be having fun too.  In Adam's case it might be worth him asking his players just what sort of game they want to play, rather than the GM and players be at loggerheads and always trying to upset each others plans.

> Now and then a PC deserves to die: He is just too stupid or
> stubborn. That
> is
> fine, and even the player is not that surprised when it
> happens. Apart from
> that, I do not think you should actually deliberately try to kill your
> players.

I sometimes include the odd situation that invites stupidity and am always amazed when the PC's jump at it (shooting a Pinkerton dead on the main street of a town, opening up in a crowded saloon with two gattling pistols, etc ... )  Player's always have a knack at ignoring consequences when faced with an opportunity for immediate payback.

As has been said before adding creepiness to an RPG isn't about throwing creatures at the posse - as soon as a nasty creature steps into the light and attacks the posse directly it often loses it's scariness and it degenerates into a who can shoot/bite who first match.  I always remember going to see Event Horizon and found the atmosphere in the first half of the movie quite dark and tense however as soon as the threat is revealed the movie rapidly degenerated and isn't actually scary at all (at least I didn't think so).

A while ago I remember someone was putting together a table on the net that included some suggestions for adding suspense to a game without actually throwing nasties at the posse.  Can't quite remember off hand, but I'll look into to it and see if I can come up with an URL (unless someone beats me to it)

Roy

All internet traffic to this site is
automatically scanned for viruses
and vandals.