Re: [DL] Native rituals

A sweat lodge is a small encloser which is used for native american and asatru rituals.  Ours at the prison I used to work at was a dome about 25 feet across and just over 3 foot high.  It had a small opening in the top for some of the smoke from the fire to escape.  The fire and the closeness of the people create a hot environment and the drugs and herbs burnt a intended to create a higher state of mind which allows one to see the spirit world, ancestors, the past, or the future.  The modern sweat lodge orientation is also reversed from the 19th century lodges to demonstrate that the indians believe that the current world state is completely reversed from the state in which it should be.

As a side note, the sweat lodge was a major source of drugs to our prison since they were used in the ceremonies, easy to get at the ceremony, and everyone came back smelling of the drugs.

g'day
frempath