RE: [DL] combat system

>  I'll drink to that.  I came to Deadlands from Shadowrun, and
> boy oh boy,
>  did we spend many an evening resolving thirty seconds of
> firefight.  The
>  Deadlands combat system is excellent.
>
>  Wishkah

Amen, friend! After many slogging through Shadowrun looking up a million
modifiers, the Deadlands combat system was a joy to run. Using cards for
actions accomplishes two things for me:

1. Keeps an element of randomness in the game. The really fast guy might
have 4 actions, but they might still be all deuces. He's not always
guaranteed to attack first.

2. NPCs might strike first, middle, last or all three. Keeps the posse on
their toes and (hopefully) making good tactical desicions. Also being able
to glom similar baddies together in one card draw is a godsend.

Of course, there's always the Call of Cthulhu combat system: "YOU'RE ALL
DEAD!!! BWA-HAHAHAHAHA!!!"

Regards,
John "Actually CoC is a favorite game of mine" Davis