Re: [DL] The Big Picture- Tying it all together (SPOILER ADDED)

At 02:42 PM 5/23/2001 -0700 Mr. B wrote:
>If such a vast surplus
>exists that may be shipping internationally, why
>hasn’t some of it turned up in Lost Angels?

	Simple logistics, really. Even if that problem could be licked, I'm sure
Rev. Grimme would take steps to ensure the perpetual famine there continued.

>if the British support the south, the
>Germans support the north, and basically World War I
>begins a little early.

	I put a line to that effect in _TOT:77_, but while I thought it was a
great potential plot, no one but me seems ever to have noticed it.:-(
	Let's not forget that, in 1878, until the continental powers build
themselves a comparable navy (especially the Germans), there's squat-all
nothing they can do about any British actions overseas, world opinion or not.

>The American Civil war, I feel, was an internal
>matter. Leaping in and interfering (while being
>terribly British in behaviour) would not have been
>looked upon at all well by the rest of Europe.

	It almost happened in real life, so I have no trouble imagining it
happening in DL. With France also pro-Confederate, there's no European
opinion left to look down on the British that could back it up with
measurable force.

>Still, accidents do happen. There is the matter of
>Union and CSA submersibles patrolling the sea lanes in
>search of prey. Do they properly identify their
>targets before attacking?

	Only the Confederates have submersibles roaming the high seas, and if you
check out _Back East: The South_, they do in fact verify their targets.
They're Southern Gentlemen, doncha know?;-)

>Entirely fair enough. My only intent was to remind our
>gentle readers that, no offense intended here, America
>is not the center of the universe. The Reckoning was a
>global event in my eyes with global repercussions.
>There's always room to look at the same events and
>find different causes for them.

	As the DL author responsible (for better or worse) for most of the
canonical European stuff, I respect your motives and laud your efforts.
	Oh, and I'm a proud Honourary Listserve Canadian as well.;-)

>Cheers.

	Well met, good sir. Godspeed!

Deo Vindice,
Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Author of Dead Presidents
Additional Developer: Deadlands: The Weird West Revised Edition
Co-Author: Tales o' Terror: 1877, Back East: The South & the JLA Sourcebook
Southern by the Grace of God