Re: [DL] The Big Picture- Tying it all together

--- Ratbastryd@aol.com wrote:

> Britain
>
> Organizations They Control- Scotland Yard, The Royal
> Navy, the Army, various this and that on their own
> steenkin' island. The Suez Canal, Canada, India,
> Australia, South Africa, the Gold Coast.
>
> Area of Influence- Britain, Ireland, India, bits of
> Africa, Canada, bits of the Carribean.

I am vaguely familiar with British history and had
thought they had controlled more territory at the
time.  Doing some research it appears they aquired
Hong Kong in 1842 and a few other asian areas in 1860.

Of course, while doing research I found some other
interesting tidbits.

A useful site for modern world history:
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/modsbook.html

A site of various hoaxes:
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/

but more specifically for the 1850-1900 time period:
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoaxes19.html

I liked the Civil War Gold hoax and the Central Park
Zoo host just because they show how underhanded
reporters at the time were.

Other various notes:
There's a Franco-Prussian war from 1870-1871 and a
Austro-Prussian was around 1866 ... at the moment I
don't recall any source book referencing these ... I
really need to re-read South Of The Border for
France's involvement.

Molly Maguires - now I know they are referenced
somewhere, or at least should be.  Anyone remember
where?  For those who don't know they were a group of
Irish miners in Penn fighting for better working
conditions (I think there's a Sean Connery movie based
off of their story).  The leaders were executed in
1877 ... I'm guessing Back East: The North should have
something on them ... dang it's been a long time since
I've read the old books ... need to dig into them
again.

-Munch "Nuff rambling" Wolf