Re: [DL] The Big Picture- Tying it all together

At 09:57 PM 5/22/2001 -0700, Mr. B wrote:
>I'd say North America has enough problems on its plate
>without adding this burden as well.

	Actually, no. Having an outlet to sell your country's agricultural
products is not a burden, it's a necessity. Then as now, American farms
yield an agricultural abundance that must be sold or left to rot, with the
farmers' continued livelihood in the balance.
	The Union fed its people and the UK's (in considerable part) throughout
The War, and that's not only part of the historical record it is (IMHO) the
main reason the British stayed out of the conflict. Most crucially, it
explains why they waited 17 years before making even a half-move against
the Union rather than simply sailing the Royal Navy up the Potomac.

>With the CSA and Union going at it hammer and
>tongs it wouldn't do to have your foodstuffs
>continually sunk midway to where they're needed.

	British shipping has had unrestricted access to both Union and Confederate
ports since the Hampton Roads Conference in 1865. No one fires at the Union
Jack because it would be an act of war.
	To be sure, this may have changed after the British incursion into
Detroit, but until PEG officially pronounces otherwise, the above is where
we stand. (*Sigh* We really need to get 'round to advancing this storyline
sooner or later....)

>Just a different point of view.

	One that, rest assured, I appreciate, but must respectfully disagree with.
Thanks for your input in any event, good sir, it was a fine read!

Deo Vindice,
Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Additional Developer: Deadlands: The Weird West Revised Edition
Co-Author: Tales o' Terror: 1877, Back East: The South & the JLA Sourcebook
Southern by the Grace of God