Re: (OT) Pet Peeve (was [DL] RE: new web sight )

--- Jimmy Craig <jimmythebarrel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Acually, ideal is proper english also. In definition it is a concept
> that
> exists in imagination only, so it is fitting. Whereas, idea in
> definition is
> a concept that exists in the mind only.
> So either would be right. Just a matter of preference.
>
> You sat po-TA-to, I say po-TAT-o.

*sigh* Ok, I really hate these little linguistic debates on the
listserv.  Here, then, are the definitions from dictionary.com:

i·de·al
n.

1. A conception of something in its absolute perfection.
2. One that is regarded as a standard or model of perfection or
   excellence.
3. An ultimate object of endeavor; a goal.
4. An honorable or worthy principle or aim.

i·de·a
n.

1. Something, such as a thought or conception, that potentially or
   actually exists in the mind as a product of mental activity.
2. An opinion, a conviction, or a principle: has some strange political

   ideas.
3. A plan, scheme, or method.
4. The gist of a specific situation; significance: The idea is to
   finish the project on time and under budget.
5. A notion; a fancy.

Thus, "ideal" describes a perfect state of an object while "idea"
describes a thought or concept.

-bryce "not pedantic, nosir, not me"

=====
"Not everything is a labyrinth of dark conspiracy, and not everybody is plotting to decieve, enveigle and obfuscate!"

-Dana Scully, The X Files