Re: [DL] Setting the Mood

Ross wrote:

>  >Any other suggestions, folks? Old thread, but is there anything new out?
> >Especially books—I'm always looking for good Western (or, better yet,
> >Weird Western) reads.

    for an interesting bit of nonconventional history, try the DC miniseries,
"The Kents" by John Ostrander.  It's about the comings and doings of the Kent
family in Bleeding Kansas (and why we called it that) and into the Western
period--up to Greasy Grass/Little Big Horn.  And there's very little Superman in
it, which I liked immensely.  If you're looking for some really vile political
hijinks, you could do a lot worse than pulling some of the rotten stuff that
floated around between Kansas and Missouri.  At $20, it's a good read, John
Ostrander proving to me that he hasn't lost his touch since Grimjack folded.
Tim Truman and Tom Mandrake, both of whom have worked with Ostrander before,
notably on Grimjack, provide very good art.  It's not weird West, but it is a
good look into history, and a good read to boot.
    Less successful, although a but more Weird West is Justice Riders.  Justice
Riders is DC Elseworlds comic that transplants the essential Justice League
(Wonder Woman, Hawkman, Kid Flash, and various other superheroes) in Western
idiom.  It's less successful than The Kents on its own terms, but a clever
Marshall might be able to get a good villain (Faust) and possibly a good
scenario out of it.  Unfortunately, the majority of the Western-Superhero
steamtech is already a part of Deadlands, so there's nothing there to take
away.  At $6, it's a little steep.

    Good readin, pardners

    John Goodrich