Re: Re: [DL] Re: deadlands D20

--- Allan Seyberth <darious@darious.com> wrote:
> The problem is that D20 is both abstract AND
> complex.  The worse of both
> possible design choices.  Normally the choice is
> realism vs. complexity.
>
> And the "abstraction" rule breaks down when you
> actually look at the system
> - for example - Magic Missile never misses, yet my
> 4th level fighter still
> has to be hit by 22 of them on average before he
> goes unconscious.  Time
> and time again the rules use hit points as flat out
> "damage capacity".

One thing I never understood about D&D (or in this
case D20) was how healing worked.  If hit points
represented someone's ability to avoid damage, and not
actual "damage capacity", then healing should be on a
percentile base, not on a point base.  Curing a light
wound on a first level fighter (say 10 hps) should do
just that, cure a light wound (like 1 or 2 points).
Curing a light wound on a 15th level fighter with over
100 hps should cure 10 - 20 hps, since for him that
would be a light wound.  Just because someone is more
skilled, they heal slower?

How does Deadlands D20 handle hitpoints?  Is it the
same as D&D?

-Munch Wolf