Re: [DL] Re: That Character just ain't right

*snip*
>Here's a question for those of you who do flesh your characters out.  How
do you do it?  Do you just try to create a framework or do you base him off
someone real?  I usually try to make my characters a conglomoration of two
or three movie or TV characters.  It makes him pretty unique because I'm not
ripping off anyone solely but it gives me a good framework to go by.  For
example, my Orc from above, Mekee, is a combination of Forrest Gump, Cookie
Monster, and Grimlock from The Transformers.
*snip*

Hi,
    As the person who inadvertantly started 1st Person Narratives in Ross
Coburn's Posse with No name, I will reveal some of my secrets.  I will refer
you to the descriptions of my characters on Ross Coburn's website.
(http://pages.infinit.net/deadland/posse/gwyn.html)
    Generally, I have a rough concept in mind when I start designing a
character.  From that concept and the draw I try to explain his hindrances
and edges and weak stats in the pre-existing history and usually come up
with a rough, third person draft of the history (which I clear with the
Marshal beforehand), before starting on the first person version.  That
writing process involves coming up with the character's narrative "voice"
which really helps flesh out the character.  "Merle Ravenwood" became much
more stuffy after writing his background.  "Pete Josephson" became a blues
song incarnate after his.
    Often I find the character names are the hardest part.  The names of all
my characters are taken from bits of "real" life. "Winslow Monroe" came from
a Frantics radio sketch.  "Ravenwood" came from the manufacturer of British
pint glasses.  The name "Pete Josephson" came about from combining "Pete"
(after the folksinger Pete Seeger whom the character was partially based )
with "Josephson" (a name that was made up to reflect his vague similarities
with Christ after the Marshal nixed "Foggerty" as a last name (as in John
Foggerty of CCR).)
    The rough concepts come from a variety of sources.  Sometimes, I've
based my character off of real individuals (Pete Josephson had elements of
Pete Seeger and Leadbelly in his history, Winslow Monroe had elements of
John Wayne including appearance), and other times I've just pulled elements
out of history and the character draw (such as my latest character
Rumble-of-Distant-Thunder.)
    I several times I have drawn on a list of story ideas I have kicking
around.  Merle Ravenwood had elements of an "Indian Robin Hood" to him.  On
the other hand, Pete's downfall came from the idea what if a family took
their desire for vengeance out on a genuinely reformed and contrite convict.
    I seem to be rambling on, but it really is a complex process.  In short,
there is no one right or wrong way of coming up with a character.  It's a
matter of give and take, then explaining why you did it.
          Daniel Gwyn
"Yeah, I'm bitter.  Dyin' does that to you."
Pete Josephson (1845-1878)