Re: [DL] Re: That Character just ain't right

> I like this topic.  Let's hear some more of those oddball characters.  I
> know you're out there.

Well, first off there's no whining on our part when asked to create detailed
backgrounds. In fact, our posse tends to go overboard in the writing department
(you can ask our long­suffering Marshal who edits our stuff to put up on the
website).

We do get Fate Chips for write­ups, but odds are I'd write them anyway (as would
a number of other players I'm sure), since having a record of our adventures is
fun and very useful. Our website is now something of an online resource for when
we play (mostly for PC and NPC stats, but sometimes we actually use the rest
too).

Our posse is essentially composed of oddball characters. We've already discussed
my poor randy gunslinger who died and came back twice. Quick update: she's alive
and well, has become Blessed, and our dear Marshal has seen fit to have her be
carrying the Antichrist (or so we think). I've decided to retire her and make
her live happily ever after if it kills me. She was loosely based on Sharon
Stone's character from The Quick and the Dead, with a smattering of Doc Holliday
thrown in there for good measure.

Usually my characters start as a very vague idea (which inconveniently comes at
3 in the morning or during an exam ‹"Oooh, that's really cool. Now I have to
write it down before I forget..." Sometimes it's just a name, sometimes it's a
more fleshed­out idea to begin with). Then I try to figure out why they've
become the way I imagine them, so I retrace their steps, essentially writing
their background backwards, and in the first person ‹having of course received
permission more or less from my Marshal to proceed with the aforementioned
character.

Then I assign stats and so forth, mostly using the background to give me ideas,
and sometimes adjusting the background to reflect some of the things I chose.
Not rocket science, but it works.

Daphné
--
When a man is wrapped up in himself, he makes a very small package.
                                -John Ruskin