Re: [DL] Weight of gold coins

At 05:21 PM 7/16/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>     Here's a reference question for the list serv.  Approximately how
> much would $15,000 in Confederate Gold coins weigh?

Well.
In 1877 gold was listed as having a value of $22.10 /ounce - but it was
coming off of a peak that occurred during the Civil War.  Within a couple
of years the price of gold stabilized at $20.33 (give or take some change)
and was held at that price until the 30's by the feds.

For simplicity I just go with $20/ounce - which matches nicely with the
currency known as the double eagle.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

The America's Cup is like driving your Lamborghini to the Grand Prix track
to watch the charter buses race.
                 -P.J. O'Rourke