Re: [DL] Weight of gold coins

I did a little looking and was obviously wrong earlier with the $50/ounce figure. Silver was another specie metal which was minted at .78 ounce per silver dollar coin.

Another item I don't know if most folks know is that paper money was universally printed, overprinted, and despised.  People believed in money they could hold and had real value over promised value.  Paper would be worth only a fraction of its specie counterpart.  There are even newspaper records of businesses taking out adds denouncing those would would try to pay debts with paper money at full value or "par" with specie.

Folks still value specie over paper.  If you don't believe me check the markets for the value of gold & silver.
Today's close
$268 for the equivilant of the $20 gold piece.
$4.30 for the equivilant of about $1.25 of silver.

Just a thought
g'day
frempath