[DL] New Posse

Ok, here's the thing.  I have a fairly new posse to the world of dealands
and my campaign currently is set in July 1875.  This rather restricts me
from using some of the regular Deadlands canon because i started the
campaign so early.  However, I did this on purpose in order to give them
some time to get used to the system, their characters, and advancing in the
ways that good PC's who get Bounty POints, and avoid death do.  There's only
one problem.  My posse, while heroic, is a rather skittish bunch.
The first session they were in house and because the lighting was so bad and
they were separated, they spent more time making fear checks against
themselves than against the actual problem.  Don't get me wrong, it was
great suspense and the roleplaying was excellent.  Heck they were shooting
at each other and dodging like mad before one of them realized it was a
posse member screaming as he dove for cover.  We had a blast.
So, don't get me wrong, I love my posse.

Here's the problem:

I want to introduce them to the horror of Deadlands slowly.  (Especially
since none of them apparently make their fera checks.)  Otherwise they'll
have to make new character because of going insane from fear.  If I wanted
that to happen I'd play CoC.

SO anyone have any suggestions on a situation I can use with a group like
this.  Like I said, the players are excellent.  It's the character's spine's
that are missing.

Thanks

Walter