[DL] What to do with Loonies

Okay,

So I'm the marshal of a tiny little burg out West and a handful of strangers
come barging into my office insisting that the Widow Hapscatt is in fact
some sort of horrific monster and they need my help to bring her down before
she stops stealing beeves and starts eating people. The first thing that
goes through my head is, "They're all crazier than a s*#$house rat!" What do
I do with 'em? lock 'em up? We ain't got no sanitarium in town. Do I send a
wire to Chicago or Salt Lake asking them to come pick 'em up? Do I just hang
'em cause all that's more trouble than it's worth? How do I go about dealing
with a group of loonies given that immediate committal isn't that easy?

This is, BTW, a very poorly disguised question about the mechanics of
dealing with people suspected of being crazy in the Weird West.

Just wonderin'
Matt the Drifter
The World is run by the people that show up.