Re: [DL] What to do with Loonies

--- Matthew Hanson <deviantsevant@msn.com> wrote:

> This is, BTW, a very poorly disguised question about
> the mechanics of
> dealing with people suspected of being crazy in the
> Weird West.

Buncha loonies wander in threatening to harm someone.

Probably the first reaction would be for the Marshal
to ask them to leave (most likely asking them to leave
town).  If they don't comply, he would put them in the
drunk tank (aka jail) for the night, giving them a
chance to calm down and/or come up with a better
story.  If they were beligerant, he might pull a gun
on the posse.

Just think of horror movies you've seen.  What usually
happens when the main characters run to the police
station talking about monsters.  They are either
laughed at, or locked up.

Personally I'd say do what is best for the plot.  If
no harm will come by them being locked up, or if it
will add to the suspense (they have a deadline), then
lock them up.  If you instead want the isolated angle,
have the Marshal laugh at them, or kick them out.

You could also have the Marshal lock them up, and then
go visit the widow, or better, he sees her outside,
and she dashes behind the building where the locked up
posse can see her.  He approaches to talk, but she
kills him, and they are helpless to watch ... plus now
they are stuck in jail, while she continues her evil
plans.

-Munch Wolf