[DL] Combat question

I know this has probably been asked before, but with
the archives down it makes it hard to find the answer.

The old saying is never bring a knife to a gun fight,
and Deadlands reflects that by having shooting guns in
combat easier than brawling, but what do you do if
someone is trying to wrestle with a gun weildier?
Does it make the shooting harder?  Logic would dictact
yes, but the game mechanics don't really reflect that.

Example from a session I ran:  One player fired a
bunch of shots with a rifle into a charging vamp.
Eventually the vamp was in his face clawing and
biting.  The player continued to shoot, and even
attempted a called shot to the head.  He then tried to
argue the vamp couldn't bite him anymore because he
had a rifle in his face.  I bit him anyway.  In this
case I could see the vamp getting his brawling skill
as a defensive bonus (but I didn't think of it at the
time).  Has anyone else had a similar situation?

-Munch Wolf