Re: [DL] Combat question

This was covered in the rules update in Waste Warriors (pg 81) for HOE:

Firearms in Melee
 Shooting someone who is trying to knock your head in with a pipe can be
hard. Unless the defending gunman has a melee weapon out, he can only defend
with fightin brawlin or martial arts. He can only attack a waster who is up
close and personal with a pistol or other small firearm. He must use his
fightin brawlin to hit instead of shootin.
 The shooter can also back up for a shot. This requires the gunman to have
pace remaining and to win a contest of fightin. If the shooter loses the
contest, he still backs up but his opponent gets to inflict melee damage on
him as he does so.

That about sums it up.  And yes, before anyone asks, HOE and WWest both use
the exact same rules now.  This is stated on page 37 of Waste Warriors.

Hope that helps.

--Dirk