Re: [DL] Leadership and goin' bust

 >I'd have no problem with a house rule that allows Leadership to swap in a
 >card to a player who busted.  I don't think that it's unbalancing and it
 >might add for good drama during a fight.  I'd raise the required roll to 9
 >though.

Actually.  the more I think about it, the more convinced I become that
leadership is one of the most underutilized power skills in the game.

Think about it.  For each success and raise you can initiate one card
swap.  Given that members of a posse almost always specialize in something
- what could be better then allowing your fellow posse members to line up
their actions perfectly.

Take a high quickness, a high mien, Leadership and level-headed.
Who invariably rolls high - the gunslinger and hucksters.
Who invariably rolls low - preachers and mad scientists.
Who invariably gets a pile of cards altogether (ie a 10, 9, and a 7)
meaning that a lot of them potentially get wasted - everyone.

With leadership you can rearrange things to happen smoothly.  Say that you
are in a situation where you need the MS to go fast in order to
torch/explode/time distort/whatever with her gizmo.  and the MS gets a 3 of
clubs.  Meanwhile the gunslinger just got a K, J, and a 9 - but right now
there are no targets to shoot.  Swap some cards and get what you want.

Or - more commonly - the one guy about to be mulched by the monster pulls a
4 of diamonds to the monster's 7 of hearts.

Leadership just gets to be more useful if you have a posse that likes to
play with dynamite.  :)

I'd even go for a house rule - new edge called Voice - Commanding.  1pt  -
+2 to all leadership rolls.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

Civilization is an enormous improvement on the lack thereof.
                 -P.J. O'Rourke