Re: [DL] Just some screwball questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Shoffner" <shoffner@usit.net>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 9:50 PM
Subject: [DL] Just some screwball questions

> I had a few questions to ask the gallery; maybe someone knows the
> answers....
>
> First off, why does the fourth printing of the Rulebook (the one with the
> Origins Award Winner! on the cover) cost five bucks more than the previous
> edition, but it has more stuff cut out of it?

Dunno.

> Why is it every single mad scientist I've seen in a published adventure
has
> no dementias listed?

Dunno.

> Why is it some of the 'tough hombres' in the Law Dogs book aren't all that
> tough?  I mean, half of them have a Shootin' pistol of 5d10 or 5d12; if
> they're all that great, shouldn't it be more like 7d12 instead?  Heck, we
> have a martial artist in our group with a Fightin': Martial Arts skill of
> 8D12 now.

Cuz your players are way over the top.  We've been playing for ever (it
seems, my birthday is gonna make me older again...) and the one character
that's been alive the whole time has 6d10 in Shootin'.

Hmm, that sounds too flamish.  I don't want to place blame, or even imply
that there is any "blame" to be had.  Just that 8d12 is way over the top as
compares to our game.  Did that player earn all the bounty necessary to get
to an 8, and possibly increase to 12 if it wasn't a lucky stat to start
with?  Everything over 5 costs double.

> Same thing with critters; nothing more annoying than having a really
> troubling critter put in a place to cause trouble, then have Mr. Kung Fu
> come into hand to hand range, & rearrange the critter's face.
>
> Speaking of Mr. Kung Fu guy; can anyone think of a good way to 'challenge"
> this guy?  By challenge, I mean potentially KILL him.  "You face five guys
> with guns." draw actions cards, KF goes first 'I go up to guy #1 & hit him
> with Devestating Ape Stike' rolling, I hit for 53 points of damage.'
"Okay,
> guy #2 shoots you with his pistol, (rolling) & hits with a 17"  'Oh yeah?
> vamoose & Seize the Pearl of Death, (rolling) & catch it, (more rolling) &
> throw it back with a 39 to hit, which would easily put it in his head
(more
> rolling) & do a whopping 44 points of damage.'  "::::sigh:::: Okay, two
> down." 'My turn again, I do Fury Fans the Flames against #3 (lots of
> rolling) & hit him fifty-three gazillion times with a combined damage
total
> that turns him into a human slurpee.' ":::::sigh.....::::"

Nosferatu.  Immune to most types of damage.  We played 'em so that they
weren't immune to the stun, just the wound.  So you could knock 'em around a
bit to keep 'em from bitin' ya, but you needed to do somethin' special to
put 'em down for good.  Or anything that's insubstantial -- Terrormentals,
etc.  Or a tweaked out Huckster.  Or a mirror image of himself (OK, that's
cheesy, but an opposing Fu-ist should do some damage).

> Jeff Shoffner

Jeff Y.
Marshal for the Dynamite Gang

PS:  or have your Kung Fu fighter find a fuse burning into a crate of TNT at
a bad time...  Seize the Pearl of 20 sticks of TNT sucka!  Or automatons --
armor makes Fu fun! -- with Gatlings spewing lead -- ya can only Seize so
many bullets (that's how my posse lost it's harrowed Fu-ist:  2 Rangers
fannin' at him).