Re: [DL] character creation points (was Re: dice-o-rama)

----- Original Message -----
From: Patrick Downs <knick_nevin@yahoo.com>

> which brings up an idea I've been toying with for some
> time now, but haven't tried to implement or create:
> character creation points, or rather, character
> creation without cards, you lose the randomness of
> getting a mysterious past but it would equalize the
> all of the PCs.

I actually implemented this in my restarted Deadlands campaign, due to the
fact that some characters were severely overshadowing most of the others
because of exceptional draws during character creation. After examining the
archetypes provided in the books, I decided to allow a total of 80 die types
for traits (i.e., an average of a d8 in all ten traits), with a total of 25
dice to split between them. This is a little more powerful than the average
archetype, but far less so than some of the randomly generated characters
I've seen. Thus far, I'm pretty happy with the results, although I hated to
lose the flavor that drawing cards provided.

- Sean