Re: [DL] Re: Points based character creation

Michael Robert Blair wrote:

> The solution to that problem will be published soon,
> it is GURPS Deadlands. Character creation in GURPS is
> point based (with other optional random or semi-random
> systems).

True, but then again for those of us who are enamored of the Deadlands
background and resolution mechancs switching to GURPS is not an option.
Converting to a different game system just because you don't like the
character generation systems is ludicrous, the only option I see is to
alter the elements you don't like to suit your individual tastes. Of
course Deadlands purists are going to consider this to be tantamount to
heresy but tough rocks!

The crux of the argument is many players seem to like the random draw
system claiming that it's in keeping with the flavor of the setting to
use the poker decks while others like myself refute the notion stating
unequivically that the random draw is arbitrary and unfair to players
who habitually draw poorly. What I've discovered over the years is that
those who like to "roll up" their characters come in three varietes: the
lucky bastard, the cheatin' weasel, and the cheese-meister, allow me to
explain. The lucky bastard is the person who through good fortune always
has excellent rolls or draws. Their characters always have at least one
18, or 100, or ace of spades, or whatever and if possible they also have
additional skills, free gear, or whatnot from rolls on a background
table. Then there's the cheatin' weasel, these are the sorry-assed
cheaters who resort to tweaking their dice rolls in order to achieve the
desired effect. As for the cheese-meister, these are similar to the
cheatin' weasels in that they take liberties with the system but they do
so in a linear fashion such as by rolling x number of times and taking
the best result or rerolling any stat under x, etc. It's been my
experience that those who advocate random systems see the mechanics as a
sort of slot machine, you put in a quarter with the hopes of getting a
dollar in return and if you don't you reroll/redraw until you do so.

Which brings me to the point (finally!) I'm attempting to make, I don't
like random systems, I never have and I probably never will. If my
players want more powerful characters that's fine by me, I award more
points with which to generate their traits. This way everybody gets the
same number of points and nobody gets the shaft.

Have a good weekend everybody!

--
Joseph "the Ogre" Wolf
coyote@net-link.net