Re: [DL] Dead Presidents

At 10:05 AM 9/17/2001, Mr. Eric Avedissian wrote:
>Marshals only, please.
>
>spoilers!

>I'm running a Deadlands game with the adventure Dead Presidents. So far,
>the posse has reached the grand conflict, the battle with the major
>nemesis in the church in Richmond. They are out-numbered and low on fate
>chips.
>The Davis doppelganger and his Nightwatchers are about to pounce on them
>following the assassination attempt.

         John Goff once told me, "If you make the adventure tough, the
Posse feels like they've really won something at the end." And thus was
Dead Presidents spawned....;-)
         You of course know that there are various suggested ways to save
Posses prior to this point in the scenario, mostly run-ins by interested
third parties, but the fight in the Church was the one time (IMHO) it
would've just been way too lame to have the characters obviously saved by a
Marshal-instigated run-in.
         That said, it's your Posse, and you know far better than I if you
*REALLY* want them to die there and then. If you want the Posse to live,
what I'd suggest is this: after the Doppleganger gets wounded and starts
spouting something that obviously isn't blood, have a few Capital Guards or
Confederate soldiers make their way into the Church; Just enough to even
the odds.
         The Posse still gets into a good scrap, and can salvage some sense
of accomplishment from revealing the Doppleganger for what it is.
(Otherwise of course, the Capital Guards would've just shot the
"Presidential assassins.")
         That's the Author's two (Confederate) cents, anyway. Hope it helps!

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Freelance Writer for the Deadlands and DC Universe RPG Lines
Southern by the Grace of God