[DL] Vapor Goggles (was: Re: [DL] Harmonica o' Horror)

--- Evil Robot Shane From Another Dimension
<wishkah@redbrick.dcu.ie> wrote:

<snip!>

>  Whilst
>  there he managed to find an ingredient that let him
> mix up a formula with
>  his miracle-grow stuff which he used to treat a
> pair of glasses, letting him
>  see, to a certain extent.  His vision is kind of
> like infra-red, with
>  background stuff in purple and living things in
> green.

That reminds me of a gizmo I whipped up for some NPCs
in my current City o' Gloom campaign: vapor goggles.
Essentially, they're sets of glasses with two
half-thickness lenses for each eye, with a layer of
ghost rock vapor sandwiched in between. These are
almost indistinguishable from normal smoked glass
spectacles due to the half-thickness lenses, but the
vapor moves around slowly, so that may be a sign that
something is amiss. They allow a wearer to see
supernatural objects and entities, much like an
Epitaph Camera. 'Supernatural objects and people'
includes manitou used for hexes or mad science, nature
spirits/fae/sidhe, anyone with an Arcane Background,
abominations, powerful relics, and any other
supernatural things at the GMs discretion. These are
quite powerful, as they can pick out the supernatural
like a Confederate sharpshooter picks out Yankee
officers. In my campaign, the silent, duster-wearing,
scattergun-weilding, obelisk-like men of Dr Leonitus P
Gash wear them, making them appear much like the guys
from -Syndicate-. :)

Any thoughts?

James

=====
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

"Lend me your dark & nasty stuff, O my buddy Bert !"
- Paul Jacoby

"Should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be facing a finality beyond your comprehension, and you will not be counting days, or months, or years, but millenia in a place with no doors." - Joe Black, "Meet Joe Black"