From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net] On
Behalf Of Jeff Shoffner
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2001 11:58 PM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: [DL] unheroic heroes

I've got a quandry about my current group.  What do you do when the
posse does something that is not "good guy"?

Case in point:  I'm running part two of the Devil's Tower Trilogy & the
posse, consisting of two PCs & one NPC  I threw in for backup, find the
dude they're looking for; you know the sniveling weasel drunk.  Well,
after pulling a brilliant plan on getting him out of the bar without a
barfight, they drag him into a back alley, make sure no one is around, &
squeeze him for info.  That's fine.  Then, after they're done, the one
PC I thought was a decent guy shoves a handkerchief into the dude's
mouth, says, "Sorry, but we can't have you talking to folks. Mao?" and
Mao the Human Cuisinart promptly snaps his neck.

So what's your play on this?  I mean, the weasel is a lowlife working
for the bad guys, but snapping his neck for no reason?  I mean, he
didn't put up a fight, told them everything he knew, literally pissed in
his pants from the intimidation factor, kept begging not to hurt him,
etc.

Now, my GM play was first, my NPC said, "Whoa! You can't do that, etc."
*snap!* "I can't believe you did that, I can't believe I'm in gang of
outright murderers, etc. I'm out of here, talk to the hand, etc." and he
left them.  Yeah, I guess he should've done something like draw on them
or something, but this NPC has been around Mao long enough to know
that's pointless, so I just had him leave them high & dry.

Second, I wiped out all bounty earned up to that point.  I figure,
Fate's a cruel bitch....

So, does everyone think that's a reasonable response?

Oh, & one more thing I almost forgot, at the climatic ending where
everyone is fighting, you know the one, well as they are fighting
through it, Mao tHC manages to get close enough to find out that what
they're looking for ain't there no more (couldn't just let him get it,
now could I?) so what do they do? Oh, it ain't here, no since is staying
to wind up dead, let's go.  I said, "Well, what about the congregation?"
"Oh screw 'em; they're a bunch of fanatics."  Didn't give them any
bounty for that either.

Would I be out of line to slap a Forsaken, or Damned, or Cursed
hindrance on them?

Jeff S