[DL] unheroic heroes

I've got a quandry about my current group.  What do you do when the posse
does something that is not "good guy"?

Case in point:  I'm running part two of the Devil's Tower Trilogy & the
posse, consisting of two PCs & one NPC  I threw in for backup, find the dude
they're looking for; you know the sniveling weasel drunk.  Well, after
pulling a brilliant plan on getting him out of the bar without a barfight,
they drag him into a back alley, make sure no one is around, & squeeze him
for info.  That's fine.  Then, after they're done, the one PC I thought was
a decent guy shoves a handkerchief into the dude's mouth, says, "Sorry, but
we can't have you talking to folks. Mao?" and Mao the Human Cuisinart
promptly snaps his neck.

So what's your play on this?  I mean, the weasel is a lowlife working for
the bad guys, but snapping his neck for no reason?  I mean, he didn't put up
a fight, told them everything he knew, literally pissed in his pants from
the intimidation factor, kept begging not to hurt him, etc.

Now, my GM play was first, my NPC said, "Whoa! You can't do that, etc."
*snap!* "I can't believe you did that, I can't believe I'm in gang of
outright murderers, etc. I'm out of here, talk to the hand, etc." and he
left them.  Yeah, I guess he should've done something like draw on them or
something, but this NPC has been around Mao long enough to know that's
pointless, so I just had him leave them high & dry.

Second, I wiped out all bounty earned up to that point.  I figure, Fate's a
cruel bitch....

So, does everyone think that's a reasonable response?

Oh, & one more thing I almost forgot, at the climatic ending where everyone
is fighting, you know the one, well as they are fighting through it, Mao tHC
manages to get close enough to find out that what they're looking for ain't
there no more (couldn't just let him get it, now could I?) so what do they
do? Oh, it ain't here, no since is staying to wind up dead, let's go.  I
said, "Well, what about the congregation?" "Oh screw 'em; they're a bunch of
fanatics."  Didn't give them any bounty for that either.

Would I be out of line to slap a Forsaken, or Damned, or Cursed hindrance on
them?

Jeff S