RE: [DL] Deadlands d20 question - gunfighter vs. arcane

But doesn't it stand to reason that any given combatant A with a distinct
advantage X over combatant B will kill/mash/perforate combatant B if allowed
to use X?  Why do you feel that a guy with a gun receiving the benefits of
Bodyguard, Kentucky Windage, Loaded for Bear is so unbalancing compared to a
guy with a sword receiving the benefits of Stone Skin, Magic Weapon, Bull
Strength?  Other than the fact that Deadlands is on the whole deadlier than
DnD3rd/D20.  It's a matter of strategy, or rather the good use of strategy.
While your hero is setting up his (or her) three favorite Hexes, the villain
could just as easily be setting up Missed Me! and Cloak o' (something my old
brain can't remember now), and while hero casts Loaded for Bear he gets a
big fat Bolt O' Doom for 4d20.  Or just walks into the room in time for the
villain to do nothing more than pull a lever, dropping the ceiling onto the
hero or dropping the floor out from under the hero, both effectively
eliminating the hero's guns from the mix.

Sorry, you probably weren't lookin' for ways to kibosh all your players'
plans, but I'm sittin' at work thinkin' Deadlands!

Jeff Y.