Re: [DL] Rules Tinkerin': Fate Chips

Alan De Smet wrote:

> I recently finished running a Deadlands campaign and I'm gearing
> up to run another one.  My experiences have led me to consider
> tinkerin' with the rules a bit.  I'm curious to see what other
> members on the list think of the changes I'm considering.  Has
> anyone else tried similar changes?  Does anyone have better
> ideas?

<<Snip>> Read on McDuff!

>  My players have consistently
> avoided spending fate chips whenever possible.  They'll
> grudgingly buy off wounds and the occasional wind.  They almost
> never improve rolls.  I can't remember the last time I got to
> draw fate chips because a player spent a red chip.  Every chip is
> hoarded toward the goal of improving their attributes.

I tend to agree with my associates, kick up the lethality of your games
that way your players will have no choice but to use their chips. It
sounds like your players have gotten into the mindset that the sole
purpose of the game is to make powerhouses and the content of your
campaign is secondary, prove 'em wrong. Get ruthless. Come up with all
kinds of devious methods of getting those chips back into play. One of
my personal favs is environmental hazards with rediculously high TN's.
I've found that the current TN's for Deadlands are insufficient so I
expanded upon them by adding extra levels in excess of 11. If you're
interested I could forward them to you off-list.

Regards,

--
Joseph "the Ogre" Wolf
coyote@net-link.net