[DL] What is wrong with them (long?)

Listers,
Theron: FUBAR.  Sounds a little worse than a D&D session I had a few months
back with new group.   <shiver>  I hate pet NPCs...

Dirk: Well, it seems our group has trouble when a clear goal hasn't been set
for them.  But, here are the individual's problems:
1. One player always has his characters go for a big payoff immediately.
This same player also does not understand 'groupwork'; he ALWAYS does
something alone if he thinks he won't be in danger.
2. One player is a chronic wallflower.  Won't even stay in the same ROOM
when something is happening.
3. One player is always trying to make sure he 'gets his', i.e. he gets a
fair share of the chips, money, etc.  This is all-consuming.
4. One player loves Deadlands but hates the western genre (I don't know how
this works out in his head).  He always goes for kung-fu masters, preachers,
etc., and doesn't understand the genre in the least.
5. One player always is a goody-twoshoes, to the point where its dangerous.
He is very critical, in AND out of character, of people who aren't thinking
of EVERYONE's interests all the time.  He doesn't usually get along with
anyone.
6. We used to have a player who only played the most specialized of
characters, and would have nothing to do with any situation that wasn't that
specialization (if he had a choice).  He expected such situations to fall in
his lap.  Like his gunslinger, who after three sessions never found a
gunfight, despite many other gunslingers badmouthing him ("sticks and
stones..."  argh).  BTW, despite his work, he usually wasn't even any good
at his specializations.
7. Lastly, my best player is one who usually creates a 'back-up' character;
i.e. one meant to complement the other characters but by no means operate on
his own.  Unfortunately, due to the ineptitude of the other players he
usually ends up becoming the leader of the group anyway.

The great session involved players 1,2,3, 6 and 7.  The painfully bad
session had 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6.  The REALLY REALLY bad session, the one that
ended in the posse stirring up a rioutous mob to attack a black-magic
practitioner on a farm (yep, you read that right: their master plan for
resolving the plot involved a mob.  No plan beyond that) involved 2, 4, 6,
and 7.

Inactivity has been a major problem.  Unless a VERY distinct goal has been
set, the posse sits around in saloons, playing cards or avoiding interaction
with NPCs (and I'm not kidding at all).

I have since found a new, more... how shall I put it... 'entropic' group
that rarely is lacking activity.  They're good players, and only one of them
is what I would call a problem player.  I'm trying to get player #1 and #7
involved, as they're the most active by far, and #1 has resolved many of his
problems with playing.  Anyway, thats the short of it.

Glenno
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
-The Wizard of Oz

I haven't lost my temper in 40 years, but pilgrim, you caused a lot of
trouble this morning that might have got somebody killed and somebody ought
to belt you in the mouth. But I won't. I won't. The hell I won't.
-George Washington (John Wayne), McClintock.