Re: [DL] What is wrong with them (short?)

--- Glenn Connot <glennconnot@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Inactivity has been a major problem.  Unless a VERY
> distinct goal has been
> set, the posse sits around in saloons, playing cards
> or avoiding interaction
> with NPCs (and I'm not kidding at all).

1. If you're playing short sessions where the players
are making characters before they start, simply tell
them all that they must have an obligation. It doesn't
necessarilly need to be the same obligation, but
starting characters usually have a very real goal and
very easy way of interacting at the beginning when
they all work for the same man.

Perhaps they are all on the payroll of the Collegium
and they have to escort a scientist from Dodge to
Gomorra. Or perhaps they are all Agents (this would be
the Rank edge and not the Obligation hindrance, but
you get the idea). Or, if you want to be really evil,
perhaps they are employed by a Whateley but have no
idea about his nefarious background of said family.

2. If the players aren't doing anything productive, or
are squandering their time in saloons (and not to
further the plot, just to further their pocketbooks)
then feel free to have something bad happen to them.
Maybe a gunfight between two drunks gets their table
in the crossfire, do they shoot the drunks themselves,
or just try to get out of the way? Maybe some kid in
the bar 'recognizes' one of them as the man who shot
his father.

In any case, it's probably not the fault of any of
your players. It could be a number of things that have
caused good and bad sessions, but you're the best
judge as to how the sessions play out. Sometimes the
plot can kill the adventure, sometimes the players do,
and sometimes the Marshal does.
-doc