[DL] Miracles & Hexes

Hi Listers,

in my posse we have an ongoing discussion about one hex and a similar
miracle:
The hex is Martyr's Mirror, the miracle is Retribution (I think - I don't
have F&B handy right now).

Anyway, both allow to inflict the damage which one receives onto the
attacker. In the hexes case, it's the plain damage, wounds are then
calculated normally. The miracle transfers the actual wounds.

And here is the point of discussion: Do the two really _transfer_ the damage
(so the player's character is unhurt) or do they just _mirror_ it?
I think that in case of the hex the damage is mirrored (hence the name) but
the miracle is another matter.
Since the miracle transfers (?) wounds, it's mighty sucessful, but the Lord
does keep a helping hand above his most loyal servants.
But imagine a mojave-rattler doing four wounds to the guts to a priest who
casts Retriubution - the priest is unscathed, the poor rattler at the brink
of death (my posse likes that interpretation, of course) with just 24 points
of inflicted damage.
I am a bit uncomfortable with that, so I can't really decide how to rule
that. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Markus