[DL] Re: European Sourcebooks

I would be very keen to see these but they would be
hard to do well. On the other hand the history write
up in Weird wars was done very well which is
encouraging.

One plea though, try NOT to use the Germans as the bad
guys. This has been done to death and is imposing the
20th century on the 19th. I would use the French
instead, maybe the Russians. Remember that Britain's
closeness to France is a modern (roughly post
1900)development, they might just as well have allied
with Germany (they nearly did first, but the Germans
did not think they were serious). Anglo-German naval
rivalry (battleship envy?) came about because the
Kaiser was an honorary British admiral, and he became
jealous of his granny's fleet.

Off the top of my head:
Spain. A spent force, very troubled with internal
political problems. In Deadlands who knows what the
Conquistadors brought home...
Portugal. Small what with wide spread foreign
possessions.
Italy. A new state.
The Ottoman Empire. Vast but decaying. Very
interesting setting. See 'Travelling with the Dead' by
Barbara Hambley.
Austria-Hungary. Internal political problems.
Basically too many nationalities in one empire.
Germany. Recently unified, helmed by the magnificent
Bismarck.
Belgium. Not sure about when this began but Leopold's
private property - the Congo was really, really
unpleasant.

Michael