RE: [DL] Re: Colt Walker

Guys,
Here's how to think of it, in the physics sense (but with no equations :).
Somebody famous once said that war is all about communication and the
reallocation of energy.  Forgetting the first part, lets focus on the
second.

The amount of energy a bullet delivers relies on two things: mass and
velocity.  A big bullet travelling slow will carry just as much energy as a
small bullet travelling fast.  But, damage is more dependent on how much of
that energy can be transferred to the target.  In general, larger caliber
bullets create bigger holes in folks because they are able to both deliver a
lot of force and "transfer" that energy over a wider area.  High-velocity
small bullets just pass right through the target.  The trick is to get a
bullet to deliver ALL of it's energy into the target.  That's why
hollowpoints are so nasty: it folds out and grows in size, acting like a
bullet much larger than it is.

Thats also why hollowpoints don't penetrate things as well, though.  Since
they spread their damage out over a wider area, they often cannot penetrate
kevlar or other armor.  Thats when a small, fast bullet works, though.  It's
going to do nearly as much damage as it would to an unarmored target, which
isn't as much as a hollowpoint, but atleast it is able to penetrate the
armor.

But then I'm not scheduled to take ballistics until next semester :)

Glenn
Memento Mori, Memento Vivere
-Remember that you have to die, remember that you have to live.

Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum
-Don't let the bastards grind you down.