Re: [DL] Revised Rules for Weapons

>That doesn't make sense, because the reason you use shot against flocks
>of birds is to put many little bits of lead into the air; a 2 gauge is
>much fewer bits.

No... its quite a few more bits...

Taken from http://www.gunnery.net/glossary/g-glossary.html
GAUGE: The bore size of a shotgun.  In this case bore refers to the inner
diameter of the barrel.  Gauge is determined by counting the number of round
lead balls of bore diameter that equals one pound or 16 ounces.  No not
kidding.  It is an old and antiquated method of measure that most people do
not know about.  Thus 12-gauge or 12 bore means that 12 pure lead balls of
such a diameter will weigh one pound.  The sole exception to this is the
.410 shotgun, which has a diameter of .41 inches (i.e., .41 caliber).  Note:
Sometimes GAUGE is spelled GAGE.

So, e.g., 2 lead balls the diameter of a 2-gauge shotgun barrel weigh a
pound.  Thats really damn big.  The amount of shot you could pump out of one
of these things would be incredible (thats about a mortar-sized barrel,
btw).

I'm surprised it didn't tip the boat when they fired it.  :)

Glenn
Memento Mori, Memento Vivere
-Remember that you have to die, remember that you have to live.

Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum
-Don't let the bastards grind you down.

>From: toadpooka@juno.com
>To: deadlands@gamerz.net
>Subject: Re: [DL] Revised Rules for Weapons
>Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 21:45:03 -0600
>
>That doesn't make sense, because the reason you use shot against flocks
>of birds is to put many little bits of lead into the air; a 2 gauge is
>much fewer bits.
>
>On Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:28:37 -0500 Sean Michael Whipkey
><highway@cstone.net> writes:
> > An off-hand comment in one of the Cyberpunk Chromebooks mentioned
> > that. It said that the 2 guage was mounted on the front of a boat and
>used
> > to shoot at entire flocks of ducks back around the 19th-early 20th
> > century (IIRC).

From Whom It May Concern,