Re: [DL] Re: Colt Walker

> Not true :)
> I'm not firearms expert, but this is a topic I
> follow for gaming and I read
> an FBI report which basically said that unless you
> are hit in the spine or
> brain, you die of blood loss, which is directly
> related to the wound size,
> which is based on bullet size.
>
> Of course, the report was based on modern firearms,
> which might have had a
> higher tendency to go right though, I don't know.

A couple of years ago, I did some research into this.
Cut and pasted from my mostly out of date website at
www.geocities.com/ceesrw:-

  "Since most bullets in Deadlands are unjacketed,
they cause really nasty wounds as they expand when
they hit, taking a good chunk of flesh with them when
they leave. If too much damage is done, a sawbones
will amputate the limb cleanly, before gangreen and
such set in.
  Remember that in Deadlands heroes can't be killed
with limb damage, so severing limbs (which means that
either a femoral or brachial artery has been
effectively destroyed, and a brief messy death from
bleeding ensues) using pistols is pretty much
impossible. It's doubtful that a rifle bullet could
sever a limb either - a shotgun pressed up against the
limb is a possibility, however.
  Many deaths in the Civil War were not caused by
gunshot wounds, but by doctors attempting to remove
limbs which had been pulverised by large caliber
bullets hitting the bone."

There y'go.

Cheers,
Steve Wallace