Re: Re: [DL] Richmond SPOILERS!!

>"James Knevitt" <psipsina@iprimus.com.au> wrote:
>
>>From: "Markus Finster" <markus.finster@chello.at>:
>>
>>> SPOILER SPACE

>>> Ok, here's my question: Richmond isn't the best neighboorhood in
Deadlands
>>> to begin with, but after Dead Presidents, it's even worse.
>>> Assuming the heroes win - shouldn't the capital be moved to someplace
>>else?
>>> Mr. McGlothlin said something about Atlanta. But wasn't Montgomery the
>>first
>>> Capital City of the CSA? Why shouldn't it just move back to it?
>>> Or which city would be a fitting Capital?
>>

>>I think Atlanta would be perfect, to be quite honest. It's a good size, it
>>has a solid industrial base, and it's situated in the Deep South. That,
and
>>I think it's most likely the coolest city in Deadlands, but that's just
me.
>>:)
>>
>>James
>>> Markus
>

>James,
>I would disagree somewhat.  Though Atlanta would not be a bad choice, for
many of the reasons you listed and the fact that it was a major railroad
center.
>However, I think that Atlanta lacks one major componant for a first rate
capital city, a major seaport.  One must remember that at this time the most
efficient way to get from point a to be is the water.  Several cities I
might propose would be, Charleston SC, Savannah GA, Mobile AL, or even New
Orleans LA.  Or you could, as suggested, return it to the orginal capital,
Montgomery AL.

>g'day
>frempath

Alternatively, why not have the new Confederate capital be built from the
ground up in a new, relatively neutral and secure location in a manner
similar to the creation of Washington, D.C. and Ottawa?  Both cities didn't
really matter until it was decided to be build the capital there.  In both
cases, political neutrality was a consideration.  In the case of Ottawa,
it's distance from the border with the U.S. was a significant consideration.
Why should the C.S.A. be so very different from the U.S.A. or Canada?  After
all, Richmond was probably too close to the Union once New Science gizmo's
emerged.  Admittedly, the C.S.A. is a bit short on funds to pay for a
spanking new capital, but it would be fun to speculate where "New Richmond"
or "Davis" would be.
          Daniel Gwyn
"No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend
Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again!"
From "The Mary Ellen Carter" by Stan Rogers (1949-1983)