[DL] Several topics

Just in response to several topics; I tend to think about things while
walking my dog, then come back & post....

First off, I promise this is the last I talk about an HoE reference, but I
thought you guys would find it funny.  I told my wife (the Environmental
Engineer) about the Dr. Pepper reference in HoE, & she laughed & said,
"Yeah, I've heard that urban myth that caffeine will absorb radiation.
Trust me, it doesn't!" Then went on to say that I should tell you that
bricks & brazil nuts are even higher in radiation than Coke, plus there is
this type of ceramic style called Fiestaware that is HIGHLY radioative, so
you should avoid it if possible.  Fiestaware gets it's name from the
colorful orange paint Mexicans used for the background glaze.  The paint
gets its color from Uranium.  Hmmm, doesn't sound like an appealing dinner
plate anymore, eh?

A while back, someone posted an idea for a Weirdness level for PCs in order
to limit the amount of ABs in a game.  While most folks have suggested that
a marshal just talk to his players about it (which I think is the best idea)
another thought did occurr to me about his Weirdness level.  In order to
give the PCs a better chance to avoid the 'telegraph operator' weirdness
level (any "2" from a deck) I'd say that any Joker drawn for a Trait would
bump up the character's Weirdness level by one.  Or, if you want, say that
any Aces drawn for Traits bump up the Weirdness card by one (ie: a "6"
becomes a "7", etc.) & a Joker bumps it up by two.  Just a thought.

SOme folks were saying that they liked the listserv better than a website
devoted to DL because it seems to attract more attention from the creators
of the game.  That reminds me..... Shane, I have often wondered why PEG
haven't come up with a collection of "Gamer aides" for the game.  Like
instead of marketing the DL poker cards, why not market a set of cards that
reference all the Huckster's hexes?  Each card gives the bare bones for each
hex, & a player could at a glance, know what the hex does, what amount of
power each hand does, etc.  Also, how about a DL die modifier calculator? A
little device that helps players keep track of what their "To Hit" TN is
when adding all the mods in.  Needless to say, this comes from 'field
experience' in my own game.  I've made up a set of index cards that list my
Hexslinger's hexes with important info on the bulk of the card & a Poker
Hand Effect Chart down the side.  Next, because I figured out that at any
given time, I could have like somewhere around ten modifiers to my shootin'
skill, I had to invent a complex slide rule just so I could keep track of
them all.  Surely other folks have their own gaming aides that I haven't
thought up.  SURELY folks would be willing to pay money for such things.  I
know I would dearly love a set of hex cards, & a deck of blessing cards.
(already have the modifier slide rule :D)

Finally, & this goes out to everyone, I have a question about relics of the
West.  Okay, these things are either malignant items put on Earth by the bad
guys, or else some famous guy's mojo rubs off on a particular item he or she
carried around.  Fine.  However, why can't a PC inadvertantly make his or
her own relic of power?  Yeah, I know a huckster has a CHANCE of doing so,
but surely PCs do build up a reputation out there in the Weird West.  Hey,
if Wyatt Earp can make a fancy badge just by wearing for a few months, why
can't a PC?  SO why aren't there guidelines as to what will make a relic?
Yeah, yeah, I know, if you wrote it up, then every single PC would have
one....  Still....  Main reason why I bring this up is even though he does
get on my nerves, Mao the Human Cuisinart strikes me as one of those folks
who would inadvertantly make one.  Hmmmm, I guess I could always do a 'home
rules' thing & sneak it on him.  Of course, he wouldn't notice, but if
anyone else picked up the item..... heh-heh....  (in case anyone is
wondering why I'm snickering, I can easily see the taint being either
Bloodthirsty, or my favorite, "My Kung Fu Is Superior")

At any rate, I ramble too much.  Bye.

Oh, & Mr. McGlothlin, I will print out your text & read it tonight.  Sorry,
but my family life takes priority.