Re: [DL] Couple of questions [marshall?]

 >1. During november/december, what would the weather conditions be like
 >travelling from Tombstone to Lost Angels?

Same as they are for most years.  :-)
In general it will be cold and dry in the desert,  and dern cold and snowy
for the mountains in between.

Just look for historical weather data for Arizona and California on the web.

 >2. What's the deal with pinkertons in their 'detective agency' respect.
 >Does that mean that, officially, they are just a detective agency, or does
 >everyone know they carry a badge. Would their offices in LA be official, or
 >would there be just a front for the public and their real operations are
 >carried out in some warehouse? I'm having trouble envisaging just how they
 >work.

Spoilers follow.

This is pre-split.  For a while there the Pinkertons WERE the men in black,
but when WotC tried to put Pinkerton on the Doomtown decks they were given
a cease and desist from the real Pinkertons, creating a split between the
Doomtown way of doing things and the Deadlands one.

The in story explanation is that the paranormal investigative duties of the
Pinks were split off - the Pinkertons returned to just being a private
detective agency and the newly created organization, simply known as the
Agency, took over the paranormal stuff for the government.

Any operations of the Agency are carried out in secret - there would be no
public offices for them and they would work out of established covers and
safe houses.

The Pinkertons however, being a private business organization, will have
branches everywhere it would be profitable for them to have them.

 >4. West LA (inside the wheel): What's there? The maps I've seen so far
 >don't really describe anything west of the golden cirlce. What's there? I
 >assumed all the shanty towns were outside the actual circle of LA.

The map from one of the books was already mentioned, but if you don't have
access to that you could start with Plato's description of Atlantis.  It's
a circular city of layers with the more important buildings being held in
the middle.

No rivers running through town though.

And where Atlantis was a city of light, Lost Angels is a city of Dark.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

A careful reading of 50 Simple Things leaves you wondering whether you're
going to die from environmental disaster or intellectual annoyance. Failing
either, you can worry yourself to death.
                 -P.J. O'Rourke