[DL] Non-Ghost Rock Science

Heya everyone, hope everyones having a good season -

One of my PCs gave me an idea - want to bounce it off all of you. I'm
play testing it now.

My mad scientist had a deep want to create something. His friend, a
native shaman, however, was against ghost rock (He had some spiritual
awakening to Ghost Rock's unpleasant side due to a vision, from before I
picked up the game).  So my mad scientist offered this non-game solution
to create something not using Ghost Rock.

His theory is to take most anything in Smith and Robards, triple the
creation time, and raise the minimum hand a reasonable amount - one hand
for something common, like a Gatling Pistol, up to 4 for something very
rare or very dependent on Ghost Rock, with some things being simply
impossible (Ghost Steel, for example).

I think this is a reasonable way to let some of a mad scientist come out
without using Ghost Rock. However, I see some problems in it to start.
As an example, how does reliability work? Would they be more stable, for
lack of Manitou flying about it? Or less reliable, being that it doesn't
have the do-everything clutch of Ghost Rock?

I'm looking for a lil input here, any would be much appreciated.

-Stryfe
             ____
           /    *| Plattsburgh, NY - College
          /       |  Bobby Hansen