[DL] Stone Questions (spoilers)

Bugger off, players, nothing here for you

All right, I guess it's save now.
I'll start with the second part of the Devil's Tower Triligy soon. I read
that and the last part of it and I was wondering, how the other Marshals
dealt with the following:

OK, Old Pete hires the posse to free Stone from Rock Island. Later, they
find out that they are the same guy, just from different times.
Stone sr. and Stone jr. take off.
So far, so clear.
In the third part, they hunt Stone to Devil's Tower and fight him for the
Heart of Darkness.
So, here are my questions:
Which Stone do they hunt? Senior or Junior?
What happened to the other one?
And most importantly, how did the fight at the end go? I really didn't like
that ending with "oh, if he gets mortally wounded, the reckoners intervene
and he fades away." Sorry, you guys from pinnacle, but that's cheating.
How did your posses survive the fight against Stone?

First thought, well let them hunt Stone Junior, and if they manage to kill
him, so be it. Just when they're relieved to have survived and saved the
world, then the lady from the future (can't remember her name right now)
mutters something like: "Of course, there is one more Stone left..." (I like
dramatic endings).

But right there, we have a big paradoxon-problem. If Stone Jr. dies, he
could not have become Stone Sr, who was send back in time.
So, Stone Sr. didn't show up, and did not hire the posse. So they didn't
free Stone from his prison in Rock Island. So they never had a reason to go
to Devil's Tower, where they are, right now. Somehow it feels as if the
whole setting would implode in a logic-cloud...

Any thoughts here?

Markus