Re: [DL] How to kill a posse (was Re: Mao The Human Cuisinart)

> > Everett, if you're reading this, stop now!
> > Move along players, nothing to see here.

> [snip the whole thing]

<snip>
> The players won't appreciate it either way that they lost their character
> without any chance to save him. Hell, you could even say at the end of a
> session: "Uh, Tom, btw, next time you'll need a new character. The others
> find John Smith the next morning without a head and in a pool of blood in
> his bedroom. I'm sorry. How about a huckster this time?"
> I haven't used Stone yet, since we're about to start the second part of
the
> Devil's Tower Trilogy, but from all what I read he's one cool
motherf*cker.
> That means, IMHO, that he goes for simple plans.

Well, one way it's been recommended to use him is to have him call out the
character and then publicly bitch-slap him (metaphorically speaking-
bitch-slapping doesn't leave one a heap of meat).  This makes the people who
looked up to him believe that he's not as great as they thought he was and
it gets rid of a big nuisance.  Stone doesn't necessarily resort to subtlety
and trickery.  He, according to Devil's Tower (or maybe it's the HoE book),
will look for a stand-up, middle-of-the-street fight as long as he thinks he
can win (which of course he can in almost all cases).  We think Shaft's a
bad mutha-shut-your-mouth?  Stone outdoes him and then some, and brother
does he know it.  Use that.  Don't just kill the character- make an example
of him.

Nick Zachariasen
Editor Emeritus
Trojan Times