Re: [DL] I have an announcement.

> be viewed in the Wild West.  How did the Indians' view it? Yes, I know
> you can't generalize about the various Indian Nations as one group, but
> for this question consider all of them.  I don't have my books in front
> of me, but I think Ghost Dancers (or maybe it was GURPS Wild West)
> addressed this.  An interesting situation happened in a gaming group I

Through the local Office of Diversity Services having a "Coming Out Week"
recently, I learned that apparently many indian tribes believe that such
people are quite spiritually powerful because they possess both male and
female aspects.  I'm prety sure the Sioux believe this, though I'm not sure
about the other tribes.  I wish I could remember what the word for it is.

As for making it a Hindrance, among types who would look down on it (like
almost all of white society), I'd probably rate it at -5 (perhaps call it
"Sissy"), at least if the character's out.  Men who are aware of it are
going to completely lack respect for- and most likely thoroughly disdain-
the character because of his limp-wristed, girly-man, prancin', lisp-talkin'
ways.  Folks just ain't gonna like this guy who meanders into town violatin'
the natural order o' things.  Besides, the men are going to be rather
nervous around a guy like that, figuring he's going to be hitting on them.
Of course, I might make a -3 level (maybe "Queer")  in case the character is
just a bit... off.  Think of it like a guy who's going to sett off your
"gaydar", so to speak, but you just can't quite figure out *why*.  That guy
would be a 3.  Christopher Lowell, on the other hand, would be a 5.  So
would Scott Thompson of Kids in the Hall or the Chaps Man (shown to the
world at http://www.shelleyness.com/2001/321_052001.html -kids, you might
not wanna look at this).

Granted, if the character just doesn't "associate" with women, that doesn't
mean anything- he could just have the Frigid Hindrance (it used to be on the
PEG site- basically, you have no sex drive).  However, if he's super, thanks
for asking, I'd definitely make it a 5 for the social reaction.  I'd think
religious folks would be likely to run gay men out of town as soon as they
found out.  I wouldn't make it matter quite so much in Hell on Earth, due to
social evolution, but in the Weird West folks DEFINITELY don't cotton to
that sort of thing.  See Ghost Busters for an example (you who've run it
know what I'm talking about).

Women may be a different matter.  They can hide it a lot easier.  I'd maybe
make it -1/-3 instead of -3/-5.  Anyway, that's just my two cents (or
however much this has been).

Nick Zachariasen
Editor Emeritus
Trojan Times